Peplink, a leading provider of internet load balancing and VPN bonding solutions perfect for mobile internet users, has recently announced its 8.4 firmware in production release available as of October 10th, 2023. This update brings a host of new features and improvements to the table, enhancing the functionality and performance of various Peplink devices. In this blog post, we'll delve into some of the exciting features of this release, including the support for Bring-Your-Own (BYO) eSIM data plans as well as native support for Starlink inside the Incontrol2 Cloud Management Interface. New to Peplink? We'll also provide a brief overview of Peplink as a company and explain how their technology works.
Who is Peplink?
Peplink is a global market leader in the development of innovative networking solutions. Known for their robust and user-friendly products, Peplink provides a range of devices, including routers, access points, and switches, designed to ensure seamless and reliable internet connectivity. Unlike cheaper products Peplink products are not manufactured in China making them the go to solution for police, ambulance and first responders across the nation. Their solutions cater to a wide array of industries and have been widely adopted by the RV and Marine communities over the last 5+ years.
Why are Peplink Products Perfect for People on the Move?
Besides being very user-friendly and extremely reliable, Peplink products allow the use of multiple internet connections for a more stable internet experience on the god. Peplink's primary offering is its patented SpeedFusion technology. But what is Pepwave SpeedFusion? It's a VPN technology that combines multiple internet links into one secure and super-fast connection. This can be achieved using any combination of Ethernet, Satellite (Starlink), Cellular (multiple), and Wi-Fi links. By leveraging this technology, Peplink devices can provide unbreakable connectivity, ensuring your network remains up and running even if one of your internet connections fails. Peplink devices can also be daisy-chained allowing for limitless expandability using a technology called Synergy Mode.
What's New in Peplink 8.4 Firmware?
The 8.4 firmware brings several exciting features and improvements. Here are some of the highlights:
- Starlink Interface Support: Introduction of Starlink support in the WAN Settings page of Incontrol2. Allows stowing and viewing of statical data from Incontrol2.
- BYO eSIM Support: Installation of Bring-Your-Own (BYO) eSIM on the Cellular WAN via InControl on eSIM-supported models.
- Least Used Mode: Outbound policy improvements allowing customers to select least used connection specifically by upload or download. This feature greatly improves the ability to customize how multiple connections are balanced for optimal performance.
- USB Support for Edge Computing: USB support for docker applications on supported models.
- Enhanced SpeedFusion Protect: Enhancement of the "Route by Wi-Fi SSID" feature.
- Increased QoS User Groups: Increase of QoS User Groups from 3 to 10. Ability to rename default groups for added customization & bandwidth management across user or device groups.
- PrimeCare Updates: Select routers will not retain access to SpeedFusion Connect Protect when PrimeCare subscription is expired.
- SpeedFusion Connect Protect Improvements: SPC Protect now supports FaceTime, Google Meet & Zscaler
- Expanded SpeedFusion Relay Functionality: SpeedFusion Relay now supports up to 5 peers. Added support for access control in SFC relay mode allowing server to approve or deny based on serial number and deny/allow traffic to local networks.
- RemoteSIM, FusionSIM, eSIM Cellular Band Selection: Cellular band selection on FusionSIM and Remote SIM and eSIM.
- MBX Mini WAN PoE Support: MBX Mini now has ability to enable PoE on WAN port making it an ideal pairing for the HD1 Dome and other POE WAN devices.
Improvements in Peplink 8.4 Firmware:
The 8.4 firmware also brings several improvements to enhance the user experience, including multiple bug fixes. For a complete list of bug fixes and improvements, check out the release notes at the end of this article.
How Do I Update My Peplink Firmware?
Updating your Peplink firmware to the latest version is a straightforward process. Before you start, ensure you have a backup of your current configuration, as the new firmware may not be compatible with older versions.
- Log into your Peplink device's web admin interface.
- Navigate to the 'System' tab and select 'Firmware'.
- Click on 'Check for Firmware Update'. If an update is available, it will be displayed on this page.
- Click 'Download' to get the new firmware, then 'Upgrade Now' to start the update process.
- If you wish to manually install the 8.4 firmware you must download the firmware from the Peplink website. Firmware is located here based on your model.
- The device will reboot and apply the update. Do not power off the device during this process.
Take a Deeper Look
Our friends at the Mobile Internet Resource Center have a detailed news article available below brought to you by our premium members.
Peplink's official website detailing the 8.4 Firmware release is available here.
MobileMustHave.com is a premier destination for cutting-edge mobile and connectivity solutions. With a commitment to delivering top-tier products and unparalleled customer service, MobileMustHave.com has established itself as a trusted resource for RVers, digital nomads, and anyone seeking reliable mobile connectivity. The team's expertise is evident in their curated selection of products and comprehensive guides, ensuring that users are well-equipped for their on-the-go lifestyles. This blog post is a testament to their dedication to keeping their community informed and empowered. Stay connected with MobileMustHave.com for more insights, updates, and innovations in the world of mobile technology.
What to Learn More & Save Money?
MMH Explore members can join the conversation and gain access to our support forums located within the Mobile Internet Resource Center. Senior MobileMustHave Technical Staff members moderate the MobileMustHave.com Support Forum and tackle more advanced configurations, troubleshooting, and general advice. Members also receive member only discounts on Peplink and other devices not available to the public usually paying for the membership within your first purchase.
MobileMustHave hosts monthly live webinars on advanced topics. These sessions cover everything from the basics to the more nuanced areas of configurations on Peplink devices. Past Webinars have included deep dives into; SpeedFusion Connect Protect (Cloud), Outbound Policies, VLANs, and much more. Learn more about our memberships and consider joining here.
MobileMustHave and the Mobile Internet Resource Center have staff with decades of IT experience and are there to help you when you get stuck!
Thanks for reading! See you on the road!